Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Personal Finance Program

Created By: Ethan Lindstrom

Executive Summary

Over the last several years I have had accounts in 4 different banks and have tried 3-4 personal budget software programs. Each of them has had features I like but I have not been completely satisfied with any of the packages, or have run into incompatibility problems with data coming from one of my financial institutions. I decided that building my own personal finance program would alleviate those problems and give me control to build the features that I want.


My new personal finance program imports transactions, checks for overlap in the existing and incoming data, categorizes the incoming transactions, has a user form to allow categorization of items that were not categorized under existing rules, and sums the categories over the specified date range to compare against the budgeted amounts. It also pulls all data for the house I own and rent out to a separate sheet so I can keep track of my gains/losses for that property.

I have included a file that can be used to test the import functionality of the program (Test Transaction Sample.csv).

No comments:

Post a Comment